The first most important thing that you need to know is that you don’t always need to book an appointment to talk to us.
We run a Careers drop-in most days between 11.00am and 1.00pm where you can get all your initial questions answered. For international students these questions might include:
- where can I look for jobs – in the UK and overseas?
- where can I find information about visas and how do I know which visa is the right one for me?
- addressing issues with employers/understanding the immigration rules- as well as any other general careers questions such as
- how to research career ideas or generating some if you don’t know what you want to do
- what it the York Award, how does it work?
- how do I find out about further study
This is a great place to start to have an initial, quick chat about how we can help, and how best to access our services. Throughout the summer months (July – September) we run a weekly drop in specifically for international students – we will post more details of this soon.
Booking an appointment
As well as the open access drop in, offer a range of bookable appointments – Careers Advice, CV/ Application review, Mock Interview, as well as careers appointments for specific departments or year groups. Appointments are booked through Careers Gateway
General Careers Advice and CV/Application Review appointments open for booking on Careers Gateway at 8.00am one day in advance. For example, if you want an appointment for Thursday, booking will open on Careers Gateway at 8.00am on Wednesday.
At times of high demand the appointments will fill up very quickly, at quieter times appointments may still be available for the same day. Check the Careers Gateway and if you have any problems come and speak to us in the Careers Building, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 01904 322685.
Other types of appointments which include Mock Interviews/some departmental appointments – can be booked further in advance (up to 7 days). Read more about appointments and booking on our website.